My blog was a university blog. Now that I am moving from Italy to Australia, it will be my secret place to keep in touch with people I love!

venerdì 30 marzo 2007

WEB FEEDS


Dear Friends,
today I want to talk to you about feed aggregators. They're very useful tools that allow you to reach all the pieces of information you need on the Web. One of the best feed aggregators you can find on line is called Bloglines.
On the Bloglines site, you can sign up and create a personal page. Here you can put a list of sites of your interest. Bloglines will show you their contents every time they are updated by opening a little window on your screen in which you can find what you haven't read yet.
What is really interesting is that you can create some playlists where you can include all the sites sorted by topics. Instead of looking at a long list of feeds and getting confused by them, you simply choose which topic interests you in that precise moment and you will get just what you are searching for. On my Bloglines page, you can find three different playlists:

  1. The first one is called NEWS. It contains three links: to the BBC site, the Bloglines News and Libero.This site offers you the opportunity to get informed of any subject but I chose to get updates about Cinema. I decided to be informed on movies and actors because it was the topic that interested me more than all the others they offer.
  2. The second one, named del.icio.us, allows me to see if someone has added new sites to my network. Therefore it will be easier for me to get information about the topics I'm interested in.
  3. Last but not least: bloggingenglish. I chose to get feeds not only from the first page, but from my friends' blogs as well. So I don't have to open their pages everytime I need to know if they've added something new.

Unfortunately there are still some sites which don't have feed links so you cannot add them to your list. By the way I consider feed aggregators extremely useful. They provide another way to exploit the net without getting lost in it and wasting time while doing a search.


I must admit that I really appreciate our English course because I'm learning many new things that will help me in my future. Do you agree with me??

So girls..have a nice week end!
Alida

Photo from flickr

3 commenti:

Her Royal Highness Susanne ha detto...

Hi Alida!

I like your explanation and the fact that you tell us something about your playlists. I agree with you: this tool is a very useful one above all if you don't have much time and patience (it is great not to get lost in the online world:-)!!
As you chose the topic cinema, let me know if you read about an interesting movie!
See you soon,
Susanne

Viola ha detto...

Dear Alida,
thanks for explaining how you structured your playlist!I still haven't understood very well hot to use them!love,
viola

Elena ha detto...

Dear Alida,
like you I think it's a pity that many websites don't have feeds yet. Aggregators are so useful that once you've tried them you can't quit!