My blog was a university blog. Now that I am moving from Italy to Australia, it will be my secret place to keep in touch with people I love!

domenica 6 maggio 2007

...SOMETHING ABOUT WIKI 1...




Before starting this course I had never heard about wiki, and now, I can even state that I've used more than one type! This is amazing!

During last semester we developed a wiki called Tulanepadovawiki. I found it extremely interesting for several reasons. First of all it was our "bridge" to the U.S. students in New Orleans. I must thank our professor for giving us the opportunity to keep in touch with people so far from our country but so willing to share with us their thoughts and ideas.
Moreover I liked our activity on the wiki exactly because it was something I had never seen before. The fact that you can create a page in which many other people can leave additional information, was something completely new to me. At the beginning I did not feel very comfortable to go into my colleagues' works and edit what they had written so far. It seemed to me as if I had no right to go there and change what they had considered worth writing. At the same time when I opened my page and saw that someone else had decided what was good or not, made me a bit disappointed. As time passed by I started appreciating the fact that my friends' interventions could be seen as something positive; something that could improve my work instead of making it worse. This new approach made me face all the activities on the wiki with a new mood. Editing the others' pages became something that could help them and make their works easier. I remember exactly when I edited
Viola's page about the Latin Dances! I spent some time in thinking how I could add something nice and original that she could appreciate as well and...eureka!...I started searching for audio files that might be suitable and finally I added them on the page. (I found some good ones on ODEO).
I believe that the initial efforts were due to a cultural question. We, italians, believe that we do not need anybody's help when we do something. The reason is that we do not want to share our victory with the others......Maybe these are just stereotypes but the truth is that we have never been taught to take an advantage from collective writing or other types of collaboration during our school career. That is why it took us some time to appreciate this kind of activity.

But additional troubles were still to come! If I had thought that giving a contribution in that wiki would have been difficult, I hadn't come across the
Edutechwiki yet!
In "our" wiki we were the only ones who could edit and create pages.
Photos from Flickr

Nessun commento: